New England Patriots player Antonio Brown. Antonio Brown, for those of you who do not keep up with the drama of professional sports, is a football player (or was) in the National Football League.  At one point, (and arguably still can be), Mr. Brown was one of the best players at his position in the League. Now, Mr. Brown is teamless and in the course of 7 months was employed by three teams and released by them.  Mr. Brown has been released by two teams in a matter of weeks because of prior alleged misconduct that was not disclosed and for one team, the comments he made on social media about his employer. If I were his lawyer, I would be advising him these 3 things that could be helpful in your divorce case:


1.   Do not hide anything from your employer that may affect your long-term employment opportunities.  If you are going through a contentious divorce and you think your spouse may try to manipulate your employer into firing by accusing you of misconduct, you should let your employer know that you may be going through a contentious divorce before those allegations are made.  You do not want to get fired and have no way to support yourself or your children because your employer thinks you will be a problem in the workplace.


2.   Stay off social media.  Mr. Brown said some things on social media about his employer that may have caused him to be let go by the Oakland Raiders.  In your divorce or custody case refrain from making derogatory statements about the other party or posting questionable content on social media.  Social media is a goldmine for the opposing party searching for dirt about your life that may be used against you in your divorce or custody case.


3.   Continue to fulfill your legal obligations while your divorce or custody case is pending.   There are allegations Mr. Brown did not pay his domestic staff for services rendered and is being sued by them.  While your divorce case is pending, the debt obligations of the marriage do not end, and you should continue paying those obligations until an agreement is reached with the other party or by an order of the court.  If you do not continue to pay your debt or child support obligations, the other party may ask the court to ensure you pay the obligations and you may have to pay attorney's fees to the other party.

Anthony Spratley
Connect with me
Experienced Divorce, Child Custody, and Guardianship Lawyer Serving Albuquerque and Beyond
Join The Conversation
Post A Comment